Thomas can be described as a cheeky, fussy little engine. He often gets into scrapes, usually by being over-eager to do things best left to bigger and more sensible engines. But clouds never last long in Thomas' world and he's soon bustling about again, playing his part in the yard and on his very own branch line, of which he is extremely proud. He and Edward arrived on Sodor in 1915, but Thomas was a station pilot at Vicarstown.
Thomas is based on the London Brighton and South Coast Railway 0-6-0 E2 with extended side tanks.
- Thomas was the first engine to have a number.
- Four Thomas models are currently on display: one at Drayton Manor in the UK, one in Canada in Nitrogen Studios, later used for Railway Series exhibitions in Japan, the large scale Thomas model used in the spinoff series, The Pack, in Japan at Thomas Land, and one for touring the Thomas and Friends: Explore the Rails exhibit, currently at the Minnesota Childen's Museum.
- Thomas appeared in the Children in Need charity single. He was voiced by Ringo Starr.
- Christopher Awdry lost the original Thomas model when he was in the US, although it was recently recreated for a sizzle promo for the upcoming 70th Anniversary in 2015.
- In Day of the Diesels, it is revealed that Thomas' driver's name is Bob.
- Thomas was the first character introduced in the TV Series, unlike the Railway Series.
- As the series progressed, Thomas' eyebrows became larger and thicker.
- In a few Season 4 episodes, Thomas shared a whistle sound with Edward.
- In real life, Thomas would be the sole-surviving member of the Billington 'E2' Class 0-6-0 tank engines.
- A promotional image of Thomas regularly appears in a photo frame on the children's program "Giggle and Hoot".